Saturday, April 23, 2016

Betty Machete Alberto Giacometti

That's Betty White's head , Machete's torso, as played by Danny Trejo in the Robert Rodriguez movies of the same name, and the tweedy pants and legs of Giacometti, the early to mid twentieth century Swiss sculptor and painter.

All three of these people are somewhat obscure as far as my sons are concerned.  Betty White is the funny little old lady who swears in the Deadpool promotional video. I am not going to waste my breath describing "The Golden Girls" to them. And in the spirit of full disclosure, that show was broadcast in the late 80's to early 90's, a period when I did not own a TV set, so I have never seen it myself. I do remember her fondly from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," but as previously mentioned in my post about the Mary Mary Topiary drawing, I suspect it will also be difficult to explain the appeal of that show to my sons.

I showed them a picture of Machete in his full knife studded ensemble and of course they were immediately interested in watching that movie. Both "Machete" and "Machete Kills" are rated R, and feature such highlights as a woman who fires bullets out of guns that are in the place of nipples on her breastplate. Maybe we will try to hold off until "Machete Kills in Space" comes out. The IMDb website says it is in development.

We watched a recent episode of  "The Simpsons" last night which featured Mr. Burns's likeness inserted in several famous works of art, including Giacometti's "Walking Man."   My sons were astounded by the coincidence when they recognized the same sculpture from this drawing.

I am definitely not doing my job when it comes to exposing them to art history. I am also not doing my job when it comes to exposing them to music, politics, philosophy, etc. But you would think I could at least manage my area of specialty.

No comments:

Post a Comment