Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Snake from "Metal Gear" as a Cat


Feline/Nintendo cosplay #5, sort of.

Over the weekend, I discovered my older son's keen interest in "Metal Gear," a game that we do not own and he has never played. While we were at the MoCCA Arts Festival (that's the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Arts) on Sunday, he came across a fan art poster for the game  that he absolutely needed to have. We brought the poster home and infected his younger brother with the enthusiasm for the game. I should point out that this particular character does not actually appear on the poster. An iteration of this "Snake" guy appears in one of the Super Smash games, but not the one we have. In short, Snake's sudden popularity is still mysterious for me.

This morning, my twelve year old son gave me chapter and verse on the details of this game, its history and relationship to Nintendo and the development of this particular character. Sadly, I do not think I could possibly retain, much less coherently summarize the information.  Instead, I will pathetically turn to 90 seconds worth of  Wikipedia reading, and offer that Metal Gear is "a series of action-adventure stealth video games" that feature the "titular superweapon "Metal Gear," a bipedal walking tank with the ability to launch nuclear weapons." Well, what could be more exciting than that?

In addition to Snake's stylish strappy outfit and cool head band,  my son points out that the guy is a clone, and is therefore "extra, extra badass."

No comments:

Post a Comment